The Property Ministry oversees the ongoing maintenance of the interior and exterior of the church building, education wing, and two parsonages; develops and manages long-term capital improvement projects; and directly handles all aspects of grounds maintenance including lawn mowing, gardening, and snow removal. Members of the ministry can serve on one or more subcommittees and/or task teams.
Subcommittees. These six subcommittees handle ongoing work of the ministry:
- Clean-up—maintain the appearance of the inside of the buildings, work with various church groups and outside organizations using or leasing space, and develop policies and procedures for using space.
- Energy Audit Implementation—determine ways to conserve energy and other resources needed for the daily church operations.
- Kitchen Guild—maintain the kitchen and dining room and set policies and procedures for reserving and using those facilities.
- Landscaping—mow the lawns and edge the sidewalks; weed and mulch the flower beds; prune the shrubs and trees; water the flower beds, shrubs, and trees; purchase and plant flowers, shrubs, and trees; and develop a master garden plan.
- Property and Repairs—coordinate with the staff business manager most major and minor repairs to the buildings, including some general capital improvement projects.
- Task Teams—handle short-term and long-term projects such as major capital improvement projects. Each team consists of at least one Property Ministry member, members from other ministries, and church members. The current task teams are as follows:
- HVAC Modernization—plan and manage the installation of a new heating and cooling system in the church and education wing, thermally efficient windows in the education wing, and energy-efficient lighting in all buildings.
- Outdoor Church Sign—design and erect a new church sign to replace the current outdoor sign and setting standards for coordinating the design and installation of all other signage outside the church and education wing.
- Security—plan and oversee improvements to the security of exterior doors and windows, develop fire safety plans, and maintain security systems such as locks and cameras.
If you are interested in joining or learning more about this ministry, please contact
or telephone at (202) 362-3139.
The Support/Personnel Ministry's primary purpose is to offer recommendations to the Budget Committee and Church Council regarding the compensation packages for employees of the church for the coming year. We also review other personnel issues and make recommendations to the Council regarding personnel matters such as hiring of additional staff.
This year we have also been exploring other ways to be of support to the staff, beside the financial aspect.
If you are interested in learning more about the ministry or in joining us, or if you have any questions, please contact Miriam Burt or Jay Guerber.